Last night I created one of those Facebook comment games that are suddenly blowing up like crazy. Look at the insane engagement it got, not to mention it generated actual sales...
So what caused this viral frenzy and why is it such a good thing?
This is a bit like the D-I-S-N-E-Y comment game that was doing the rounds last week, but in our case we've monetized it and it has the added benefit of increasing my "Edge Rank"
These comment games can be posted on your own Facebook wall or in groups (any group you can post to, you do not need to be administrator).
How our comment game got sales and boosted my edge rank...
We made a comment game that occasionally would serve up a coupon for discount entry into a membership site. The image that is shown is randomly selected every five seconds and there is a one in twenty chance it will be a discount coupon.
In less than 24 hours that post had 274 comments and a bunch of likes.
We also made two new sales of Society11 as a direct result of the post.
What is EdgeRank and Why do You Want it?...
EdgeRank is the algorithm that Facebook use to determine which posts/stories will appear in each members newsfeed. It is designed to hide uninteresting stories and posts, so if yours doesn't score well...
No one will see it!
When you consider that the newsfeed is the first thing anyone sees when they first login to Facebook, it stands to reason that if you have posts you want seen then this secret ranking system is important.
Every time someone likes, comments, tags, joins a fanpage or RSVP's to an invite that post and poster gain Edge Rank.
As you can imagine, if FaceBook showed you every post there was on your newsfeed it would be insane and you'd also spend a lot longer wading through the crap.
Why should I care?
Because the harsh truth is...
Most of your Facebook followers and friends never see your status updates!
Now the actual algorithm is top secret and it is said that it factors in hundreds of thousands of things.
But even if we don't know exactly how it works and what it's doing we can certainly establish some basics:
- Any post that gets a lot of "engagement" (comments, likes, shares, etc) will have higher EdgeRank
- If you have posts that have higher EdgeRank, any new posts you do will be considered "more likely" to appeal to those who follow you.
- Anything you can do to increase the EdgeRank of a post is a positive thing.
But above and beyond all this "EdgeRank" stuff... We made sales!
Four sales to be exact, for a product that sells for $30/month and pays a recurring 50% commission.
If those buyers remain members for only 3 months I have effectively made $180 off one post (and in my experience Society11 has a massive retention rate).
And that is FOUR SALES off ONE POST in less than 24 hours.
How I Created the Game...
But that's OK, you can cheat too!...
I found a little known web application that does all the grunt work for me.
So all I had to do was...
- Write a bunch of "I'm sorry try again" messages.
- Choose or make images to go with them.
- Create one "You are a winner" message and choose a graphic for it.
- Pop all of those into the generator software which can be found here.
- Take the two output PHP files (it makes them for you, you don't need to know what PHP is!) and upload to your web hosting.
- Create a Cron job (if you don't know how help is available and there is a non-cron alternative).
- Post on Facebook!
It really is simple and these work on your timeline or inside any group (they do not work on pages).
This is a really simple and massively powerful way to generate new leads, sales and increase your EdgeRank on Facebook all at the same time.
I highly recommend you give it a try!